Hastings & St. Leonards on-line community newspaper

Jordan Woodley's free-kick

Revenge is sweet

Hastings Utd 4-0 Faversham Town
Monday 14th October 2013

After United’s 3-1 win over Tooting and Mitcham on Saturday, United were looking to get revenge on Faversham Town in the League Cup on Tuesday evening. Faversham, who beat United 2-0 earlier last month, would be looking to do the double over United. Both sides made changes to their first-team, both mixing the regulars with many of the reserves. The winner of this tie will play either Margate or Folkestone Invicta. Liam Willis reports.

Matt Maclean had the first chance for United within the first few minutes, after an exchange with Aladetoun, but managed to drag his shot wide. It didn’t take United long to get themselves on the scoresheet though. A second early goal in successive games; Tom Gilbert’s freekick is cleared out to the edge of the penalty area and Tom O’Connor unleashed a fantastic strike with his right foot into the top left of the goal, giving Overland little chance diving to his right. As time progressed, United looked strong and attacked with intent. A cross from Pogue met Aladetoun in the centre, unmarked, but the shot was straight at Overland, who made a fine save.

United doubled their lead after sixteen minutes, when Kenny Pogue’s shot was well saved by Overland, down to his left, but the parry bounced to Jordan Woodley who fired into the goal. Faversham failed to make much impact, but their best chance of the half came from an Aaron Lacy throw. The throw was long which allowed Botterill to flick a header towards the far post, but the ball hit the post with Pelling beaten before the ball was scrambled away. Faversham then just seemed to sit back and let United attack – a Woodley corner found  Aladetoun in the centre, whose shot again was finely saved. Woodley then had another chance of his own with a free-kick; however this was again brilliantly saved by Overland, who had to dive and stretch to his right hand side. Aladetoun was then denied a goal for himself, with the referee blowing his whistle against the centre forward for what can only be described as a ‘cheeky shove’. Half time came soon after and United went in at 2-0 feeling comfortable.

United’s first significant chance of the second half came from Matt MacLean. A ball from Aladetoun found Kenny Pogue, whose touch let him down, but set up MacLean perfectly. MacLean’s shot was blocked off the line by Ashmore. Kenny Pogue extended United’s lead after an error from Ashmore, only minutes after he’d prevented United from scoring. A sloppy pass across the area went straight to Pogue, who drilled low down to Overland’s left hand side. United continued to press and their passing seemed to get better as the night went on. Numerous offsides were given by the linesman, but United beat the offside trap when a smart give-and-go between Jordan Woodley and Matt MacLean saw MacLean’s shot go just wide.

Fobi-Edusei replaced Kenny Pogue ten minutes into the first half and then made an immediate impression by further extending United’s lead. A sublime through ball from O’Connor found Fobi-Edusei perfectly, who slotted underneath Overland despite his getting a hand to it. Sean Kelly then made way for Crisford, just before Pelling denied substitute Cass a goal seconds after coming on.

Faversham were enjoying their best spell of the game, when a cross came in from Stone, but the cross was slightly too pacy for Luke Harvey to get a decent touch and the ball went wide. The impressive Aladetoun then made way for Denis Peyer, just before Cass volleyed narrowly over Pelling’s crossbar. Faversham continued to press, and an altercation between Jordan Woodley and Ashmore after a strong challenge, saw Ashmore lucky to remain on the pitch – it looked as if Ashmore went to react violently to Woodley’s challenge – both players received a yellow card.

Faversham couldn’t quite clinch a consolation goal with little time remaining – a ball from Mosaku set up Cass from close range, but Pelling managed to block the shot well and ensure United finished with a clean sheet. The referee blew for full time and United had revenge over the Kent side and progressed through to the next round of the Robert Dyas Cup. United will either play Folkestone Invicta or Margate at the end of November.

United starting XI: Pelling, Gilbert, Corrigan, O’Connor, Hare, Kelly (c), Maclean, Woodley, Pogue, Aladetoun, Cruttwell.
Subs: Crisford, Fobi-Edusei, Winter, Dicken, Peyer.

Faversham starting XI: Overland, Lacy, King, Botterill, Etherington, Ashmore, Stone, Marsden, Rowland, Oliver, Tenyue.
Subs: Mosaku, Harvey, Bourne, Cass, Maxted.

Liam Willis is Hastings United Programme Co-Editor

Posted 10:17 Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013 In: Sport

Also in: Sport

More HOT Stuff

    HOT is run by volunteers but has overheads for hosting and web development. Support HOT!


    Advertise your business or your event on HOT for as little as £20 per month
    Find out more…


    If you like HOT and want to keep it sustainable, please Donate via PayPal. It’s easy!


    Do you want to write, proofread, edit listings or help sell advertising? then contact us

  • Subscribe to HOT